Ross & Bee Maloof - L'eau Epicée 2019
65% Riesling, 35% Gewürzatraminer
Willamette Valley, Oregon, United States
From the distributor-
65% Riesling and 35% Gewurztraminer from own-rooted, dry-farmed, LIVE certified vines in transition to organic, grown in the Beckenridge Vineyard. This experimental bottling was made by creating three lots of still wine: the Riesling was pressed and fermented in neutral 500L puncheons. The gewürztraminer was split into two treatments: 60% was direct-press and fermented in stainless steel, while the remaining 40% was destemmed and fermented on the skins for 20 days before being pressed off and moved into neutral French oak barrels. Once all three lots were fermented to dry, they were blended into tank, at which time they threw in some freshly thawed riesling must that they froze at crush. They then stirred it up and bottled it. A couple months later and voilà! Bubbles.
Ross Maloof got his start in winemaking through the Philadelphia restaurant scene, while he was working at such wine destinations as Vedge and A. Kitchen. In the midst of managing a booming, natural-focused wine program he connected with Brianne Day and soon found himself working harvest at Day Camp (a co-op started by Brianne). He returned the following year with his then-fiancée, Brittany Selman (Bee), and stayed even longer this time. They went back to Philly, but Oregon had left its mark on them, and in 2017 they relocated to Oregon permanently.
Today, Maloof Wines is proudly produced at the base of the Dundee Hills inside of Day Camp. They do not own any vineyards, but are dedicated to making wines full of energy, with the number one goal of truly capturing a place and time in each bottle. They work closely with their farmers to achieve this goal, and consider them to be the true inspiration of their work. They make fun and funky cuvées of all colors, but they focus on producing single-vineyard wines of often-overlooked or misunderstood white varieties.